...

...

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Agrégation BBC Director-Generals and Commissions of Inquiry

As you know, the Commissions of Inquiry, and the arrival of  Director Generals, are important  milestones in the history of the BBC. You clearly need to know, at least approximately, the dates of the most influential ones (I say "approximately" because sentences such as "Reith left the director-general's post at the end of the 1930s" are completely acceptable.)

Last year, some smart student came up with a mnemonic to memorize the order of the Commissions of Inquiry. It went like this:

"Some Charming Student Used His Brewed Potion And Progressed!"

This year some student asked me on my YouTube channel if I had a mnemonic sentence to memorize the order of the Director-Generals. Since you don't need to be a historian to make up mnemonics, I told them it was their job to find one. But then I did make up this rhyme about the Director-Generals, which may be a little helpful (I didn't want to be excessively helpful either).


BBC Director-Generals 1922-1995

Johnny and Freddie and Cecil and Bob were the first chappies to handle the job…

Billy then followed, and Ian and Hugh, taking us up to the sixties: who knew?

Charlie then Ian then Alisdair and Mike ended the eighties: what’s not to like?

But let’s not forget the last one, John Birt; ther's just him and Mike now who ain’t bit the dirt.


As you can see, if I get fed up with history, the music hall is waiting for me.


No comments: