...

...

Monday, September 02, 2013

The special relationship is over. At long last! article from the Independent

The special relationship is over. At long last!: It seems the marriage is in grave trouble. I don’t mean between Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones but between the nations that made them. (Sorry, that’s a bit cheesy I know). The ties that bind the two parties begin to chafe, split the skin, cause discomfort and hurt. On a TAP flight on Saturday night from beautiful Portugal – miserable because the crew were, in turn, prejudiced and rubbish, refusing to provide even a drink of water – a Welsh family gave me their copy of The Sun, my first look at the news for a fortnight. Its front page evoked Churchill and Roosevelt, intoned laments and dripped with sorrow. Millions of their readers will grieve, but as many or more will not. They feel as do I, that this arranged marriage is oppressive and unequal. Britain has been the surrendered wife for too long.

No comments: